Unsurprisingly with all the treats and fattening foods this time of the year is notorious for weight gain! How much you may wonder? 7-12 pounds!! Yikes that is as much as a new born child! Now maybe your goal is more maintaining your current weight or maybe it is losing more either way you can still enjoy the holidays and stay focused on these! The key is moderation and knowing the difference between hungry, cravings, emotions, and peer pressure!
Refer to http://fitandhealthywithbeth.weebly.com/1/post/2012/11/cravingshow-do-i-handle-them.html for help with cravings!
As far as the holidays go, you best bet is to have a plan of attack, the holiday parties and events will happen and you will have 2 choices, to indulge or not!
Here is your game plan:
· Decide what holiday foods are non-negotiable then allow yourself to enjoy just a little! If your gam- gams makes your favorite pie then by all means have a slice, just not the whole pie!!
· Plan ahead- we all know the types of foods and goodies to expect at family and holiday parties right? Okay so plan your plate, ½ proteins, ¼ veggies, and ¼ carbs and sweets (see just a little not the whole table!!). Why? You can fuel up on healthier options and still enjoy just a touch of your favorites.
· If there will be absolutely zero healthy options then either bring some or eat before hand!
· Pack emergency foods- we all get stuck somewhere and rather than starving or giving into junk foods carry some minor foods to hold you over! (EX: almonds/nuts, apples, protein bars)
· Get your sweat on that day…not only do you burn off calories but you keep cravings subsided.
· Sit or stand away from foods tables
· Go easy on booze and sugary drinks
· Wait a while between different plates…allow yourself to process the food and then go back in for more if you are still hungry.
· Eat slowly!! Your brain takes about 20 minutes to realize you are full and you could easily over eat otherwise!
· Don’t beat yourself up over what you ate..move on!
· Track it…if you are conscientious of what you eat, you are likely to stay on track more easily!
· Wear clothes that are a little snug…if you are aware of your body and what you are putting into you will be also less likely to over eat!
· And lastly…just throw the junk food in your house away!
So what is your plan of attack?