One of my favorite things about eating clean and the holidays is definitely baking and cooking. Anything from fun treats to seasonal classic dishes!
But sticking to clean eating is not a problem! You can still enjoy those foods but for less, it just takes some creative thinking and prep!
Some of my favorites:
•Greek yogurt-can be great in place of butter!!
Great for baking, dips, and sauces
( I use it in Mac and cheese, buffalo chicken, for cookies/brownies)
•Unsweetened apple sauce
Baking!! I use this for a sweetener/binding
Also great for binding or in place of ice cream! Mash, freeze, stir with your favorite protein powder, unsweetened cocoa, peanut butter, etc!
Use as breaking, for flour (grind to make oat flower)
•Low sodium products- soy sauce, broths, etc
Lower calorie dehydrated peanut butter great for mixing with shakes and baking!
I use this versus regular whey for same amount of protein + nutrients galore!!
The fun is getting creative and trying new things! What do you bake with?
So getting my boyfriend to eat veggies is a miracle so when we find a recipe he loves we make it...a lot! I am pretty good with veggies there are a few I am not a fan of (artichokes, mushrooms, and a fruit=blueberries YUCK!).
Also, quick foods help too!
So here was dins last night
ZUCCHINI BOATS WITH TURKEY! YUM!
I'll post these officially under recipes too but here was how and what I did! And these were obviously perfect VP debate food ;-)
2 large zucchini
1/2 package of lean ground turkey
EVOO (I used the spray)
I suck as spices so I used a blend--Italian blend
1/4 c reduced fat cheese or Parmesan would be good!
veggies: onions, garlic, tomato, bell pepper, 1/2 jalapeno
bread crumbs--I made mine from ezekiel bread (just ripping)
2 egg whites
*PREHEAT OVEN to 400 Degrees*
1) slice zucchini in half, scoop out "guts"--set aside
2) place zucchini in a baking pan (I use foil to avoid a huge mess and sticking)
3) cover bottom of pan with about 1/4 inch of water- set aside
4) sautee veggies and garlic until tender
5) add back in zucchini guts and ground turkey
6) cook until done then allow to cool for 10-15 min
7) mix in egg whites (make sure this has cooled or these will cook before oven!)
8) scoop into boats
9) top with bread crumbs, cheese, and evoo mist
10) I baked mine for 35 minutes but can be 30-40--just keep checking depending on your oven!