So getting my boyfriend to eat veggies is a miracle so when we find a recipe he loves we make it...a lot! I am pretty good with veggies there are a few I am not a fan of (artichokes, mushrooms, and a fruit=blueberries YUCK!).
Also, quick foods help too!
So here was dins last night
ZUCCHINI BOATS WITH TURKEY! YUM!
I'll post these officially under recipes too but here was how and what I did! And these were obviously perfect VP debate food ;-)
2 large zucchini
1/2 package of lean ground turkey
EVOO (I used the spray)
I suck as spices so I used a blend--Italian blend
1/4 c reduced fat cheese or Parmesan would be good!
veggies: onions, garlic, tomato, bell pepper, 1/2 jalapeno
bread crumbs--I made mine from ezekiel bread (just ripping)
2 egg whites
*PREHEAT OVEN to 400 Degrees*
1) slice zucchini in half, scoop out "guts"--set aside
2) place zucchini in a baking pan (I use foil to avoid a huge mess and sticking)
3) cover bottom of pan with about 1/4 inch of water- set aside
4) sautee veggies and garlic until tender
5) add back in zucchini guts and ground turkey
6) cook until done then allow to cool for 10-15 min
7) mix in egg whites (make sure this has cooled or these will cook before oven!)
8) scoop into boats
9) top with bread crumbs, cheese, and evoo mist
10) I baked mine for 35 minutes but can be 30-40--just keep checking depending on your oven!
Protein intake is crucial to supply the amino acids, the building blocks for the formation of new muscle. But not all dietary proteins are equal! The two major types are from milk protein whey and casein. Whey is fast digesting and casein is slow digesting.
· Whey protein- stimulates muscle growth through protein synthesis
· Casein protein-is insoluble and slow digesting and helps with protein balance. It is also the most abundant.
These are the most common types of protein; there are of course other types! First and foremost, your nutrients should come from your foods (lean meats, eggs, your foods (lean meats, eggs, yogurt, whole grains, and plant proteins). But many people, especially those looking to lose weight, gain muscle, or lean out, supplement with protein powders as well, to get more protein in their diets.
Supplementation can change your training and your body composition but why? Well for starters it keeps you full for longer periods of time. The amino acids within protein take longer for the body to digest, and thus leave you feeling full longer!
How much? The number various from person to person but an easy trick to figure it out is this
There are a few formulas but this is the one I have found most useful!
= 1.0 or 1.5 g protein (others may use .5 or .8) X every lb of your body weight = protein intake
From there you divide that by your amount of meals for the day and voila!
For supplementation: it is crucial for your body that you just don’t by “any old protein” just because it’s cheap!! So what do I use and recommend? Shakeology!
Check out this video for more info!